Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It all started with an epiphany...


I have a love for jewelry and handbags. I'm a member of a jewelry board and a member and lurker on a diamond board. I'm also a member of a handbag forum, but I mostly lurk there. One day at work during my lunch hour, I was on the Purse Forum looking around and quite by accident I stumbled onto this thread, titled "The Curbing-Consummerism-Club-Come-On-In."


I clicked it and started reading. It was a thread started by a member of the Purse Forum about getting out of debt. As I was reading, it got me thinking about why I felt compelled to buy so much jewelry.  And when it hit me why I kept doing what I've been doing, it was as if a lightbulb went off inside my head. Right there at my desk, I broke down and started crying. 

My difficulties in trying to get pregnant was frustrating the hell out of me. I felt like a failure. And I felt such a huge sense of helplessness at not being able to control my body and my ovaries. So I bought jewelry to make myself feel better and to take my mind off my irregular cycles.  Sure, what woman doesn't like jewelry, but is it really necessary to have seven engagement rings? Yes, you read it right: seven (I've only got one husband, by the way). I have one for every single day of the week. Some are real diamonds, others are extremely well-cut simulants. As soon as I get a piece of jewelry, I'm off looking for another one or planning another jewelry project. Necklaces, pendants, earrings, more rings...it's a never-ending cycle.

But the cycle stops today!  I've decided that I will go through all my handbags and jewelry and sell what I don't wear or love.  And with the money I get, I'm going to see an accupuncturist to see if I can get help regulating my cycles (think Charlotte in SATC !).

So...stay tuned! :)











1 comment: